Monday, January 5, 2009

Miss Black USA

Did you know that there is a Miss Black USA Pageant Competition?

Well, I didn't!

I attended the Miss Black New York USA Competition this past weekend with mom dukes. It was a lot of fun. I didn't even know there was a National Pageant that showcased intellectual, fabulous Black Women.

Throughout the Pageant Competition, I shared my time of giggles.
It's kind of funny to me..how Pageants really are. These women get up and begin their speeches in tears, talking about how they were once chubby and now beautiful.
But then, my comedy session took another route as the Pageant seemed to focus on the women and their aspirations to change their communities.

Miss Black New York 2009 wasn't the tallest, prettiest, long hair, or big booty.
She was beautiful. But she was most importantly....SMART. She had brains, she had guts. She understood her gifts and have used them to create a great way to help her community by aiding Black citizens with their finances.

Right there, before my eyes...I was inspired.
And I thought...could I do this?
Well ...could I?
I turned to my mom and laughed it off
"I wanna do this next year"
And she smiled to me and said..."You Should!"

What?! I should?
Me? Enter a Beauty Pageant?
Lord have mercy..I couldn't believe I was actually considering it.

Even more, I've made up my mind that I really want to do it.
I believe entering into this contest would put an end to my childhood struggle to want to be BEAUTIFUL.
I still can't get over it.
Watching other girls pass me by.
And just wishing I was them.

I think this would be a great challenge for me.
AND I'M UP FOR THE CHALLENGE.

So..lol.
No more sweats,
No more messy hair,
No more "i don't care"
Here I come!
I want to be a pageant contestant! Lol. Ha.

No comments: